TightBlog: August 2016 update
I'm back to work, my summer sabbatical is now complete, so I won't have nearly as much time to spend on TightBlog. The release of TightBlog 1.0 was a mission accomplished for me (similar to my prior time off, which I spent releasing Roller 5.1.) I did get a few simplifications in this month though, removing four more Java source files and 2 JSPs.
I advertised the release of TightBlog 1.0 on the Apache Roller users mailing list and got some more traffic from Roller users who did not yet know of my fork.
I said last month that "talk is cheap" and refrained from mentioning what I'd like to get done. But cheap talk is sometimes still useful: For TightBlog 2.0, I'd like to finish up the REST API for the application, a few more screens still rely on server-side screen generation. Once done, so little Struts code will be remaining that I plan on pulling out the Struts library and replacing it with Struts MVC, whose libraries are already being used for the REST controllers. I hope to get a tag management page in for deleting, renaming, and adding tags. Thymeleaf in addition to or replacing Velocity for the blog templates may also be a good idea. I might remove the Planet functionality as it was seldom used in Roller and the effort spent maintaining it can perhaps better be spent enhancing the rest. Finally, a package renaming and restructuring, replacing the legacy org.apache.roller.* naming with a new org.tightblog.* or similar.
(I still need to convert *this* blog to TightBlog--awaiting the new OpenShift PAAS update before doing so, but maybe I'll switch to Digital Ocean instead...)